Monday, August 24, 2015

Who am I

The question should be, "Who Am I?" rather than "What do you do?"
"Who am I?" should reflect more of who or what a person is than the other question which is in debate.

If I were to answer that question, I would say:
I am Nizamuddin Ameerally. I am a son, a brother, a brother-in-law, a student, a teacher, a friend, a nephew or a cousin. I would define myself by my relationships I have with my family members and any past or present connection or identity with an organization. For many years of my life I was a student, whether it was in primary school, secondary school or college. It was not until my late twenties did I encounter career identity issues.

My identity as it related to finding a career took me to wear many hats. I became a college student, a teacher, a tutor, a writer, a blogger, a tennis player, and a peer support person.

"What do you do?" is a subset of your identity. It does not define all of you. One should not make your work your whole life. There must be some sort of balance in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment